I noticed the more I try to fit into my day, the more tired I feel. Is this because I sleep less to fill in the extra hours that I need or is it just because I’m using so much of my energy?
I read an article regarding how to cope when you can’t sleep. Now, granted, I can sleep; it’s just getting to be shorter amounts of time. Basically, you miss out on sleep and you find yourself dragging through your day. I wonder how this can affect my weight loss efforts or my desire to stay “fit and healthy”?
How many of you out there have walked through your day dazed, confused, dulled and complaining to all who will listen how you didn’t get enough sleep the night before? Okay, maybe that was just me who was complaining; but you get my drift. (By the way, what does “catch my drift” relate to? Just had a random thought…back to our topic)
If you are suffering from insomnia; this article does not apply to you. I recommend you visit your doctor to find the reason for the ailment and hopefully; a solution. Otherwise, the lack of sleep is a stress on your body. Karen Miller-Kovach, MS, RD,Chief Scientific Officer for Weight Watchers International, says; “When you don’t get enough sleep, your body is in an after-stress reaction mode, and you go to eat.” What? Did you know this fact? She continues; “You tend not to make good choices because your body is reacting to the stress with something called disinhibition.” Again, What?
Apparantly, when you’re tired, you lose the motivation and desire that you usually have, when properly rested, to make the right choices. You are very vulnerable when your body is tired since it sets itself up in sleep deprivation mode, both psychologically and behaviorally.
You remember the “fight or flight” saying regarding stresses in your body? You know, how the cavemen needed to survive when they were in dangerous situations and by approaching a mountain lion; the body would become highly stressed and they would have to literally, fight the animal or run from it; “flight”? Okay, so anyway, that is the psychological response that happens to your body when you’re tired. There’s a release of sugar as fuel so your body can run away from this terrible thing that’s happening to it. The good news/bad news, though, is there is no mountain lion, or any other frightening animals for that matter. Instead, we are simply faced with being exhausted. The worse news is this sugar that has been released as fuel, now is converted into fat. How lovely. So basically, I sleep less, I become tired and stressed due to the fatigue, my body releases sugar to react to the fight or flight situation and since there isn’t any bad news nearby (thankfully); this wonderful sugar is changed into fat in my body. Are you kidding me? Did we all learn this in school? If not, it’s time to pay attention!
This lack of sleep may also destroy (because it hasn’t done enough, yet!) our resolve to get some exercise into our day. Those extra minutes of exercise can make or break your fitness and weight loss efforts.
What’s a person to do? Because, let’s be honest, in our world today; sometimes we have to scrimp somewhere to fit all the extra details into our already-busy lives….we can then follow the following guidelines.
1. Eat Well; Really? That’s it? According to Miller-Kovach, “It doesn’t matter what you eat, what matters is that you are on guard. (good to know) The secret is to not change how much you are eating just because of your lack of sleep; but in return, to not let your lack of sleep determine how much you eat. Pretty deep, right?
2. No Caffeine; Then how will I function? Honestly, since I’ve change my eating and cut out caffeine for awhile (doing our amazing 3-day cleanse!), I no longer crave the caffeine as a stimulant. I no longer desire the jolt of stimulation. I have the endorphins from my exercise to keep me stable and awake! The caffeine only works as a stimulant and will wear off rather quickly. This only accentuates the problem, drink some tea or other non-caffeine drink instead.
3. Stay on Guard! Remember to always eat breakfast in the morning (and if you’re still one of “those” people who continue to skip breakfast; I need to talk with you!), since it will help round out your hunger and keep you on track for the rest of your day. You need to continue eating proper portions and every 2-3 hours, as necessary. If your body is tired, the first reaction you will have is to eat to wake you up! Your body is brilliant! But you need to be smarter! If you know you haven’t slept enough and are tired, keep your food “dukes” up and pay attention to all that you eat! It could mean a drop or raise on the scale!
So, bottom line; Sleep, people! What do you have to say for yourselves?….
Is it already half-way through this year? I can’t believe how fast time is rushing by! What have you done these past six months? I now at the start of each year, we make many new year’s resolutions but by February, they are thrown out the window.
I challenge you to make a change this year. What were you planning to change? For most folks, it’s about exercise and eating better. I can help challenge you to a 10 day “Biggest Loser” style challenge. Are you game? It’s only 10 days, after all!!
If you have a Facebook account, please “friend” me there. My name is Kathy Hozen Prohoroff. I also have a group at Yahoo. that serves as a check in with many of my members and friends. On both of these sites, I listed the challenge in depth. I will list it here too, in case you may be intrigued. What’s the catch, you ask? The winning member will have the chance to win a Beachbody program or supplement of their choosing for FREE!!
I will be partnering you up with someone to be an accountable partner. I will ask you to take your measurements and weight and send them to me CONFIDENTIALLY for me to track who the winner is! I assure you that this won’t be shared with anyone, it’s only for my personal tracking. I am going to measure in percentage; just like the “Biggest Loser” show. This way it is fair to all participants…
Here are the guidelines that I will start you off with:
10 DAY FITNESS COMMANDMENTS!
1. You shall go to www.spazzykay.com and Join the Club (the cost is $2.99 per week and you are able to cancel this after the 10 days ends, if you wish) and you get discounts on all the products and complete access to the numerous online resources available on the site. You will get your own log in once you become a member.
2. You shall log your workouts in DAILY at WOWY.com for the 10 days of the program and I hope you will continue to because you can win MONEY and PRIZES just for logging in your workouts. Make a habit of this!
3. You shall obey your coach (me!) and follow the diet you are given. There will be some changes allowed but not many.
4. You shall not cheat! You may be struck by lightning if you dare eat a Twinkie or drink alcohol during this program!
5. You shall hydrate your body properly. A minimum of 2 liters of water each day. You shall not count coffee or diet coke into your daily fluid requirement.
6. You shall not eat 3 hours before bed time!! You shall not skip breakfast! You sabotage your metabolism this way. If you do you will suffer serious consequences. If evening is when you are most likely to blow it, have a nightly call with your partner or do a home workout after the kids are in bed. Watch Fit TV and Food TV. Try to keep your spirits and motivation up during your weakest times. Remember it’s just 10 days. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
7. You shall be a good and trust worthy partner and agree to phone/email your accountability partner at least 1x a day to help keep him/her on track and provide positive support and encouragement.
8. You shall workout every single day of the program. You will workout a minimum of 1 hour to 1.5 hours each day. You can break it up however you like. To ideally boost your metabolism I would do a morning and an evening workout. A walk after dinner is a great way to keep your metabolism humming along.
9. You agree to seek the advice of your physician before participating if you have any concerns about your physical well being and your ability to participate in this 10 day challenge. You may not participate if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant. You may not participate if you are injured or recovering from surgery. You agree to use common sense and cease exercising if you become light headed, faint, nauseous, or feel pain not associated with muscle fatigue. You agree to let your coach know of any concerns that arise during the course of the program.
10. You will succeed. Success will be different for each of us. It will not be easy, but worth it. You will continue your success by moving to a maintenance program with your partner and using the online support provided by Beachbody. It is my hope that some of you will want to share this program with other people in your lives and become coaches yourselves. If you decide to coach, I will help get you going and stick with you to ensure your success.
So, there you have it! Send me an email or Facebook message if you have questions and let me know if you choose to take this challenge on. Check out the products at Beachbody at my website and decide what you would love to win!! Good luck to all…