What a week I had!!
I am proud to say that I wrote out each day’s tasks last weekend and followed them as closely as possible. Have you ever done that? I know some of you are rolling your eyes at me…I can SENSE it!!
But it worked~ I got so much done this week and wanted to brag about it; so THERE!! lol In all seriousness, it did work wonders and some of the “frogs” that I haven’t wanted to eat in a long time. were finally “eaten”. (In case this reference was lost on you; check out the amazing read “Eat that Frog” by Brian Tracy)
I promised you some recipes and I always keep my promises!!! When you are bored with your meals, chances are that you will eat something you probably “shouldn’t” eat ad that is not going to help you with your goals. Is it??? (say, NO!) Here are two great recipes that I made this week and were great big hits with my family!!! (and when I say “family”; I mean two picky teenagers, one picky 10 year old and one even pickier hubby!…so it was unanimous!)
Without further ado:
EASY JERK CHICKEN:
1 Tbsp. onion powder
2 tsp. Allspice
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground red pepper
2 tsp. raw sugar or palm sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
4 (4 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp. coconut oil or grapeseed oil
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1. Combine first 8 ingredients (don’t you hate when recipes say this, cuz you have to COUNT??) in a large plastic bag; add chicken and shake until coated in seasoning.
2. In a medium frying pan, heat coconut or grape seed oil over medium heat.
3. Remove chicken from bag, place in frying pan, and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side. (discard marinade…really?? If you didn’t already know this part; to “discard” the raw chicken marinade..you have some learnin’ to do!)
4. Reduce heat, add chicken broth, and simmer for an additional 15-20 minutes or until chicken pieces are cooked through.
5. Transfer to plate and top with pan juices.
Serves 4. Each serving equals= 1 protein and 1 condiment on P90X2 nutrition OR 175 calories, 6 g fat, 23 g protein
CHICKEN ENCHILADA SOUP:
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 large ribs celery, chopped
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1-8 oz. can low-sodium tomato sauce
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
1-32 oz. carton low-sodium chicken stock
2 cups water
1 medium tomato, chopped
1-4.5 oz can green chilies
Jalapenos (optional, to taste)
1-15 oz. can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
12 oz. boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cubed
1 avocado, sliced
1 medium chopped tomato, seeds removed
1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheese (optional but I skipped this in case you were interested!)
1. In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients except avocado, seeded tomato, cheese and 8 sprigs of cilantro.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for approximately 1 hour, stirring often.
3. Ladle into bowls and serve hot. Top each serving with 1 Tbsp. low-fat cheese (again, I passed on this item), 1/8 avocado, 1/8 tomato and sprig of cilantro.
Makes 8 portions=1 protein and 1 vegetable on P90X2 nutrition plan OR 160 calories, 5 g fat, 14 g protein
Are you hungry yet?