Does it sometimes feel like you are doing everything right and yet you have that extra body fat that you still cannot get rid off?
Does it drive you insane too?
When it comes to reaching our goals and becoming leaner and fitter, what we eat and how we exercise is just the beginning. There is so much more that needs to be addressed and one of the biggest roles to deal with is or HORMONES!
Dun-dun-dun….(enter theme music here) 😉
Let’s talk about hormones, my friend. We have so many different hormones and if any of these become out of balance; our bodies can start to store extra fat.
You read that correctly! (ding ding ding~)
Due to our stressful lifestyles (and who doesn’t have one, right?), going on crash diets and exposing ourselves to toxic chemicals on a daily basis is a one way highway to hormone hell!
Let’s talk about the 4 most common hormones that are responsible in storing that extra body fat…
If you have ever suffered from weight issues, you can pretty much count on the fact that you have (or have had) and insulin imbalance. Well, what exactly does this mean, right? Insulin is a hormone that tells our bodies how to store energy…and if this is out of whack (like I said, who isn’t?)..the body will store energy as FAT.
HELP! How to remedy this problem now:
– Avoid simple or High GI carbohydrates like bread, pasta, white potatoes, or anything with refined sugar or excess fructose content
– Increase your good quality lean protein choices
Estrogen is another hormone that is commonly responsible in weight gain, storing fat and cellulite. Too much of this is really not a good thing at all. HELP! Want to know how to get a handle on it now?
– Avoid plastic that contains the chemical BPA. This has been linked to increasing levels of estrogen in the human body. If you do eat or drink from plastic, make sure its BPA free.
– Avoid or limit soy products
– Cut out alcohol as this can affect the liver’s ability to metabolize estrogen
– Increase your fiber intake (approx. 25 to 30 grams per day)
Now leptin is a hormone that can help us. It tells us when to stop eating. Score, right? Well, if our leptin levels are too low, then this can lead to overeating and again…our bodies storing more of that fat and putting on weight. HELP ME! How to get utilize this hormone to help us instead:
– Make sure you get enough of good quality sleep (at least 7-8 hours a night..not “I can get by on 4 hours”…)
– Eat slowly and mindfully (turn off all your phones, tvs, computers and electronics and savor your foods!)
– Chew your food (too many of us gulp it down and our bodies cannot register it was ever really eaten)
– Avoid MSG at all costs!!!!
Now here’s the biggie…cortisol is the hormone that your body produces when it feels like it’s under attack. Boy, do I know about this one!! In the caveman era, they required cortisol to help survive in the many dangerous situations that surrounded them daily. The problem with our current day and age is that everything that stresses us out is creating more of this hormone. It raises the levels within our bodies way beyond what we can handle.
What happens when this results? Well, elevated cortisol levels increase our sugar and carb cravings (sound familiar?) which then leads to overeating and increased hunger…and this results in our bodies storing more fat. Increased cortisol levels actually break down our muscles, which will then slow down our metabolism. (and this is bad news) HELP ME!! What can we do about this today?
– Introduce calming practices to your daily routine like yoga, meditation or deep breathing techniques
– Get more sleep and focus on quality
– Get out in nature as much as you can
– Eat a healthy well-balanced diet
– Listen to relaxing music when you feel your stress levels rising
– Ask for support from family and friends
Hormones are nothing to ignore. Dieting only creates more imbalance so the best suggestion I can give you today is to stop dieting!!!!!
Eat clean and wholesome nutritious foods. Work on regaining balance to your body and supplementing with dense nutrition, such as Shakeology. Start going to bed at a decent hour and getting your body on track to creating healthy sleep patterns. Do more of what brings you peace and joy and limit stress as much as you can. Reach out to others for support and don’t accept anything less. Need more help? Send me an email and we could match you up with our next support system to help you succeed today.
It’s up to you to take that first step. Will you?